Quest to Reach the Coast 2 - Kuruman 24/08



Me before hitting the road
It does not seem to matter what type of wheels I use, I always manage to add more kilometers than planned. On the N14 it is a bit difficult as it is impossible to get lost or travel a diffirent route. There is only one road, but day one was suppose to be 264kilometers, I did it in 300. Day 2 went a little better. The weather is great. However I have experienced some side wind. Hey on my motor bike I still go 4 times faster than on my bicycle.






What to see on the road
There has not been much to see since Randfontein. (See Pictures) The road looks the same for nearly 650 Kilometers. Only here at Kuruman does one see the first hills: the Kuruman Hills. It boraught back memories of the Netherlands, where I travelled for nearly a 1000 kilometers before seeing hills. The country side is dry at now at the end of winter. Lands are stripped and ploughed in preperation for sowing. Lots of dust blowing around. The 'goggas' has made their appearance already. A 'gogga' hitting your face at 60 - 70 kilometers per hour does sting a bit.
Turning Point Coffee Shop. Have met up with some great people at my stop overs. One always run into fellow travellers at these small dorpies. It inveriably turns into an exchange of travel stories, sharing current and past experiences. I have found a place that serves the best hamburger so far. It is at Turning Point in Sannieshof. Fresh home made chips, fresh buns, well made patty and a small serving of Greek Salad. Not just some garnish on the side. My breakfast at the VanWyksRus Guesthouse was so big I had to skip lunch (not something I do easily).

Most of the motorist till now had been great. But there are always the odd ones who miss a couple of screws and either overtake me into on comming trucks or overtake trucks heading straight at me and has the audacity to flash lights at me. Hell I am on a scooter, traveling at some speed (slow, but at 60 it is deadly in a colission). The roads here has no shoulder, so there is no where to go. Except to a bit of draft wind I am fine.
My intention to stop over at Lykso had to change. There is nothing but a church and a church hall. The little shop had closed down long time ago. The few people who live in the small informal settlement has to travel 70 kilometers in either direction for shopping. It is a harsh enviroment.

Lykso
Today I plan to spend more time sightseeing.

No comments: