Stage 1: JHB - Ruacana


Thanks to my friend Natalie I was at ORT 3 hours before departure. We parked at International Arrivals where I made my way to Domestic Departures to book in for my flight to Windhoek. Once my bicycle and luggage was handed over, I walked to International Departures to clear my electronics with SARS and
cleared customs there as well instead of walking back to the gate I was referred to. Once in transit I still had to walk all the way back to find an electronic shop I was referred to. After a much needed cup of coffee, I walked all the way to gate A30, completely on the furthest point of International Departures.
Once we cleared the gate we were bussed all the way back to the Domestic Departures side to our plane. We then proceeded to taxi all the way from Kempton Park to Boksburg, but at long last we were airborne and heading to Windhoek.

I managed to get a cab to take me to my host quite quickly. Paying careful attention to his asking fee, comparing it to what the going rate in SA is.Spent the afternoon just relaxing. That evening we went to super at her aunt's place, where I met up with members of the Peace Corps and was duly invited to stay with Yah in Ondangwa.

My cab driver promised to take me to Eros for my flight to Ondangwa, but he never pitched! Managed to find another cab driver & after much manoeuvring we got Sorrento loaded, my nerves spent. At Eros airport I found out, to my amazement, that my luggage & bicycle had gained. weight.
Upon arrival at Ondangwa I was met by Yah's friend, Svual. He helped me get a few things from town, then off to my accommodation for thew night, where he went to cook me a delectable lunch

Following morning it was all systems go. Even though it was a Sunday morning, the road was very busy. Many a time I had to play chicken with cars overtaking at high speed, heading straight at me &  flashing  lights  the worst was facing a truck in that fashion, but I survived. By the time I got to Oshikati I was starving & I was only halfway for the day!

Cycling to Outapi, went even better. My legs already stronger I did the 60kms in 3 hours. Thought the Outapi Lodge is a god sent. During my afternoon snooze, I woke to the sound of gurgling-running water. The toilet bowl was overflowing with dirty sewerage water! The stench.! Called reception and was told the matter had been reported to the municipality! (?) I needed my bathroom cleaned. The water was standing 2 cm deep over my bathroom  floor and my room smelled like along drop!

After much struggle to get the matter driven home, I was allocated another room.They then wanted to charge me the same rate despite the fact that the 2nd room was not even up to the standards of the first room. No problem I called the owner and had my fee drastically reduced.

Day three I had prepared mentally for a more challenging day as it was my 3rd day and mind and body was now being pushed past its limit.I still  managed my average of 20km/h. Before I knew it the hills (?) before Ruacana was looming at me. Till now the road had been flatter than flat. Only the last 20km there are very mild ups in the road.

What is happening at Ruacana? Nothing! There are 2 shops of which one is at the petrol station. Two government service buildings and that's it.

Generally I have found the people so far extremely friendly, non aggressive. The first time I was called Meme, I had no clue I was being spoken to. Then I found out that Meme is the same as Mama in SA and a very respectful manner to be addressed. The area I have seen so far is reasonably clean. Everywhere people live in little brick houses. No shanties. They even make their own bricks from the lovely powdery sand. Alcohol is a big thing here. Seen more alcohol in refrigerators in supermarkets that any other beverage. Every 2nd building in settlements are pubs or shebeens. My favourite Hunters Dry is but R9 in the shop.
First stage completed.


No comments: