Army History

1981/2 I spent 18 months serving in the Defense Force. I grew up in the era of the Border & Vietnam War. It was BC & BTV (Before computers and Before Television). It was also the time of the Comic Strip Books like Grensvegter & Ruiter in Swart. Western Movies were the hype, so we either played Cowboys & Crooks or War Games. Additional to this we lived not far from the Youngsfield Army Camp. Many a weekend up to 5 ‘troepies’ would spend their ‘weekend pass’ at our home as they had no means to get to theirs.

By the time I started High School, I have had lots of exposure to ‘Army Life’. I was even able to iron browns to Army Standards and shine boots to reflect like a mirror. As soon as Girls’ Cadets were introduced at school, I eagerly joined. In Std 9 (Grade 11) I attended a Girls’ Cadet Camp . The rough and tumble, sleep in the bush, doing inspections and parade ground work was the best fun I could have. The highlight was being taught to shoot with a R1. The biggest miracle was missing an aeroplane when the kick back sent me sprawling!

As a kid I always had a romanticized idea of Army Life. When I had to decide what I was going to do after school, joining the Army seemed like a great idea. For a girl without means to study further, the job market had a few bleak options. Having always had a fascination with electronics and radios (yes I took transmitter radio’s apart and fixing them as a kid) volunteering to the Signal Corps seemed like a great option. Not only would I be able to ‘play’ with some nice electronics, but I could indulge in an adventure and earn a small living.

As luck would have it, I was sent to Army Gymnasium, Heidelberg, Gauteng, which is the main Signals College, and not Ladies Army College George.

No comments: